Are you too busy to bring your side project to its full potential? Learn how a Chief of Staff can help.Key takeaways:
- Business leaders are often dealing with passion projects and side hustles while trying to manage a full-time job
- Chiefs of Staff help founders free up time and establish documented policies so they can start growing their side business
- A Chief of Ctaff from Chiefly Consultants recently helped one CEO go from side hustle to all-in by implementing the right technology and improving operations
Why more business leaders are taking on side projectsThere are a few reasons that business leaders tend to have side hustles and projects. First, they still have that entrepreneurial spirit and drive, even after they’ve been working at a full-time job for a while. They still want to help people and may be constantly identifying new gaps in the industry or marketplace that they want to fill. Side hustles also allow people to stay creative. They provide a supplemental focus that enriches the work day. They can even provide an escape that helps them improve their work-life balance. Many CEOs may want their side hustle to eventually become something much more, like a retail startup or tech company. The problem is that they don’t have the time to bring their passion to fruition if they’re already working full-time and trying to juggle everything simultaneously. Many entrepreneurs try to do this and end up with loads of stress, and neither endeavor is getting the attention it deserves to succeed. This is precisely where Chiefly Consultants comes in. Working with a Chief of Staff allows CEOs and business leaders to free up time to focus more on those side projects.
How chiefs of staff help CEOs develop their side hustleOne of the most common reasons a business leader hires a Chief of Staff is to free up time so they can focus on what they really want to spend their time doing. They may be dealing with challenges like these that they just can’t seem to overcome:
- They do too many daily, time-consuming tasks, like financial or operational.
- They don’t have enough time to think about or work on their side hustle.
- They have trouble letting go of business responsibilities, and think that no one else can do it as well as them.
- They aren’t using the right technologies to make processes more efficient.
- They spend too much time going back and forth on big decisions and lack a sounding board.
How Chiefly helped a client shift their focusChiefly Consultants often works with driven business leaders who are trying to balance too many projects. They support the CEO with a range of tasks for daily operations, but they also take on bigger-picture responsibilities like strategic planning. One of our fractional Chiefs of Staff started working with a busy CEO who was continually stressed, trying to manage a full-time position while developing a side hustle. She lacked the tools to develop effective processes and didn’t have the bandwidth to develop strategies properly. She needed additional assistance to put more energy into her side project. Our Chief of Staff came in and identified challenges, helped the CEO strategize, and introduced new technologies for success. Here are the key solutions that were implemented:
- Administrative updates, including:
- A new CRM system
- Email account monitoring
- Automated message filtering
- A new customer service platform that integrates automation and a chat function
- Financial metrics tracking and research for a new business pitch deck
- Marketing improvements, like social media growth across platforms
- Sales and customer service improvements, including:
- Making the chief of staff the direct customer service contact
- Potential partnership sourcing
- Documented policies and procedures